Thursday, March 3, 2011

Random Update by Omar

Hey, sorry I haven't updated with my theme yet. It's actually about 75% done, but I'm super busy this weekend. I'm shooting for Saturday evening to finish up. In the meantime, as to why I'm late, I got a creative itch to make a picture when I found this figure while searching for a good figure model database.


Here's the sketch I did (click to enlarge)...

And here's the finished product in Photoshop!

 


At this stage, I'm wondering who much of my preliminary line work I should be cleaning up. If I get rid of all of it, I feel I'm losing some of the rough texture that gives my work its identity, but I can't help but shake the thought that my smudges and scratches make my work look a bit sloppy and amateurish. I'm welcome to all thoughts and opinions!

1 comments:

Eric C. said...

I would start off with big gestures and making big marks to get the overall shape and movement of the figure first.

Then work your way down to fine details. Meaning, as in, your finest details should be all be done simultaneously in the third or fourth stage of illustrating your figure.

I think cleaning up your lines is entirely up to you, as some artists don't, like Amano (kind of) and it gives the figure a very flowy or rough expression.

Also, back to the subject of using big lines/marks to get the shape down, it would help with your proportions. Like with your arm and back, it looks good. The right foot, the left wrapped around hand, and the head/neck portion look a bit off. But I think this could be learned better in time and practice.

I would suggest using this creepy method: observe people around you. Like at the doctor's office or at a park, just look at how their arms connect and how long the forearm and bicep is. Look at the bridge of their nose. See how foreshortening/perspective works when they stand or gesture a certain way. Look at their booty. No, j/k. It will help a lot when you observe and retain that memory.

Also, look at human anatomy books and study them. It looks like you're on the right path by getting that reference of that woman.

I hope I wasn't preaching to the choir here, but these are just things I keep in mind when I draw, mostly when I draw figures based on reality.

Post a Comment